Shooting With & Without Muzzle Brake – Any Diffrence? (Bolt Action Rifle)

I’ve been told that a muzzle brake could improve accuracy and tighten up groupings. In this video I shoot my Mossberg MVP LR 5.56 at 300 Yards and see if it makes any difference. Unfortunately, I could only do this test once because I only had 10 rounds of Gorilla .77gr Sierra Matchking. I will try remaking this video in the near future with more rounds & testing. Thanks for watching! Feel free to check us out on Instagram: @texasplinking Walkers electronic ear protection: http://amzn.to/2xAqJrC

33 thoughts on “Shooting With & Without Muzzle Brake – Any Diffrence? (Bolt Action Rifle)

1. Texas Plinking says:

A couple things to make note of, the muzzle brake from what I can tell slightly reduces recoil, (not that this rifle kicked hard to begin with) and it adds a flash out the barrel. As for accuracy improvements, I feel like I need to run this test again with more ammo to get solid results. Even if it does nothing for accuracy, it definitely looks cool. Isn't that all that matters? 😉 Thanks for watching y'all!

2. Jamie Sloan says:

If you don't chrono your ammo, then you will always be low, using ballistic calculators. The advertised velocity on the box is ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS, quite a bit faster than you're "actually" getting. I don't have a chrono, but I started subtracting 175fps from what the box says, and now I can use ballistic calculators with more dependability, and accuracy. Barrel length, of course, has a lot to do with it, also. But, something that people overlook is the height of your optic from your bore. This measurement has to be EXACT. That's the starting angle of your bullet, so think about how important that is. It's why people shooting AR's, with the optic wayyy above the bore can use a 50-200 yard zero(keep in mind, that the apex of their trajectory is very high). A hunting rifle, with the scope mounted 1.3 inches above the bore, is more like a 50-140 yard zero, or a 35-200 yard zero. Because the bullet doesn't rise above the line of sight as far, from 50 yards, it's traveling on a flatter trajectory. I hope this makes sense…

3. Bob says:

Muzzle brakes in general are not needed on small caliber bolt guns. On high powered guns yes they reduce felt recoil about 40-50 percent. But they put much more stress on the scope via the reverse jerk after a shot some scopes will fail, its harder on a scope vs not having the brake. I took all my brakes off as they just made the gun 2x louder and recoil does not bother me. Even on a 450 bushmaster its not a big deal but the sound was. At the range or in a deer blind you are going to have a huge blast backwards that pisses some people off.

Never had one person say "hey that is a cool looking brake" but plenty that said OMG that thing is freeking loud.

4. biggus bestus says:

I trust audiologists …one muzzle blast without hearing protection can permanently damage hearing. I fire at a local range using ear plugs and muffs. I leave when anyone shows up with a weapon muzzle brake brake installed. A shot group is not worth loosing some or all of your hearing.

5. Jason Taylor says:

I think the difference in the groups is the barrel heating up, muzzle break only redirects the gases, the brake is not threaded so it plays no role in directing the bullets flight path.

6. fsteddie95 says:

You’ll like that muzzle brake on your AR 15 I actually have one and it mitigates muzzle rise and any recoil that you would get it’s very nice it’s worth the money spent. Maybe not on your bolt action rifle that you set up for range use because the people next to you might get a little pissed off

7. fsteddie95 says:

What shooting range is that and by chance what that range be anywhere near the Houston Texas area which is where I’m at. Maybe within an hours drive from Houston?? It looks like a very nice range would like to try it if it’s close somewhat

8. VMX12k says:

A side effect of adding a muzzle brake is that it works like a harmonic balancer, so a fair test would need an identically weighted and same length attachment for the end of your barrel for the 'without brake' shots. The muzzle brake may well improve accuracy due to three main effects 1) If its a quality product, It helps stablize the round as it leaves the barrel with evenly redirecting gas flow away from the projectile. 2) With reduced recoil your follow through is likely to be less disruptive to the departing projectile. 3) With reduced recoil you stay on target better and in a hunting scenario can more quickly release follow up shots. But, I do want to point out that if you want a fair test then you need to make sure you are consistent with cheek weld (removing headphones mid group doesn't help), trigger hand placement and grip pressure and what you do with your left hand.. i.e. don't touch the stock. But good shooting for factory ammo and a 223 at 300yrds. With attention to consistency you will do even better. 🙂

9. AceCars says:

Realistically, if you're practicing proper marksmanship techniques like trigger pull, a muzzle brake shouldn't do much of anything for accuracy but rather make follow up shots and target acquisition quicker and easier. Think about it… the brake is after the barrel has determined the bullet's flight path. All the brake does is redirect gases after the bullet has passed in order to reduce recoil.

10. Dustysa4 says:

Brake won't do a thing for the rifles accuracy. It can help the shooter by reducing any flinch from recoil anticipation. But a brake has other benefits as well. You'll be knocked off target less, which helps you spot splash on steel through your scope. A brake also protects the crown from damage.

11. Johnny Chan says:

Muzzle brake makes a significant difference in higher calibers, such as 300 win mag. Love my Fat Bastard, I could shoot all day now, before I couldn't shoot more than 10 rounds. And accuracy definitely improved because no more recoil anticipation.